SCUBA DIVING NEAR CANCUN
Cancun is situated perfectly for divers wishing to make diving the focus of their visit to Mexico. From Cancun you are close to the Whale Sharks in the Gulf off of Isla Holbox.
North-East off of Cancun you have the island of Isla Mujeres with caves and Nurse Sharks nearby.
There are dive shops on Isla Mujeres and you can easily make your way to the island by ferry on your own, dive and return to the mainland, all in one day.
Alternatively you can boat out of Cancun and skip the ferry.
Other options include dividing your stay between Cancun and either; Isla Holbox, Isla Mujeres or Cozumel.
When staying in Cancun, to dive the reefs at Cozumel, dive shops offer a number of different options depending largely on where the dive shop is located:
- Boat from Cancun to Cozumel and return.
- Dive shop sends car to pick you up and take you to a boat launch at a hotel South of Cancun or Puerto Morelos.
- Dive shop sends car to pick you up and take you to a boat in Playa del Carmen then depart by water out of Playa del Carmen.
- Dive shop sends car and takes you to ferry docks in Playa del Carmen, you take ferry across, boat/car is waiting for you at the docks in Cozumel. If car, they pick you up and drive you to the boat launch.
- Fly to Cozumel, car picks you up and takes you to boat launch. Reverse to depart.
You can also rent a car or take the bus or colectivo to Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen on your own and go directly to a dive shop and go from there.