Travel Complaints Cancun Mayan Riviera


If you were dissatisfied with products or services provided during a visit to Mexico, you may file a complaint through the Embassy of Mexico or through the Federal Agency of Consumer Affairs (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor, PROFECO).

In order to file a complaint, you must do the following:

Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor
Dirección General de Quejas y Conciliación
Av. José Vasconcelos No. 208, 6º piso,
Col Condesa, Delegación Cuauhtémoc
Mexico D.F. 06140
Telephone: (011-525) 211-20-52; 211-1723; 211-9475
Fax: 211-2052