Taking Pets Into Mexico


O F F I C I A L   I N F O R M A T I O N
From the Mexican Government
Travelers wishing to travel to Mexico with their dogs or cats must obtain beforehand the following documents:1. A Health Certificate issued by an official authority or by a licensed veterinarian provided that his signature is approved by a State Veterinarian, and2. Proof of vaccines against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before the arrival of the pet in Mexico.

No consular certification is required.

Frequently Asked Question

What are the requirements for bringing my pet to Mexico with me?

You will need a certificate of health for the pet issued by a certified veterinarian issued within fifteen days of departure. You also need a valid certificate of vaccination showing that your pet has had all its vaccinations within fifteen days of departure.

It would be best to call Mexican government offices directly for complete information. Contact the nearest Mexican Consulate in the United States, or the “Direccian General de Inspeccion Fitozoosanitaria” in Mexico City, Tel. 011-52-55-5571-3124 Fax 011-52-55-5784-3231.

You can also get useful information from several U.S. agencies, including:

U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S.Customs Service
Center for Disease Control

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.